Remediation, Decommissioning, & Outage Support
SC&A has provided remediation and decommissioning
support for projects as small as the decontamination of a pig trap to remediation projects
as large as 400 acres. Our health physicists, hydrogeologists, geochemists, radiochemists,
GIS specialists, risk assessment specialists, engineers, and community relations specialists
provide the full range of remediation and decommissioning services, including:
- Outage support involving equipment and facilities contaminated with NORM/TENORM
- Designing and implementing all elements of site
characterization and remediation in accordance with MARSSIM and
- Planning, scoping, and designing characterization, remediation
support, and final status surveys for industrial sites
- Historical site assessments
- Quality assurance/quality control in data acquisition and analysis
- Conducting surveys
- Implementing EPA- and state-approved laboratory methods and
instrumentation and interfacing with radiation laboratories
- Developing remediation management plans, manuals, and training
- Testing statistical hypothesis and interpreting statistical data
- Documentation and defense
- For Williams Olifens, our experts provided radiological outage support for emergency repairs to a facility in Louisiana.
- For the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Nuclear Regulatory
Commission, Department of Energy, and Department of Defense, SC&A
provided primary technical support in the development of the Multi-Agency
Radiation Survey and Site Investigation Manual (MARSSIM) and the Multi-Agency
Radiological Laboratory Analytical Protocols Manual (MARLAP).
- For EPA, SC&A supported the development of the agency’s Hazard Ranking System
- For the Office of the Public Advocate for the Republic of the Marshall
Islands, SC&A compiled and evaluated radiological data on residual
contamination from weapons testing, evaluated Marshall Islanders’ past and
current radiation exposures and associated health risks, and identified
cost-effective strategies for remediating contaminated atolls to acceptable
- For a federal contractor, SC&A developed remediation and site closure
techniques for the Western New York Nuclear Service Center and West Valley
- For EPA, SC&A developed soil-washing equipment for the treatment of
metals (in particular, radionuclides) in contaminated soils.
- For EPA, SC&A conducted the 5-year review and expert panel process
for the Shattuck radwaste site under the Superfund program.
- For private clients, SC&A has characterized industrial sites in Louisiana,
Maryland, New Jersey, and nationwide.